A classic Boxing day dinner jazzed up with cranberry gravy, juicy slices of Christmas turkey, sage and walnuts. Don’t dismiss this dish for its rather ugly look – it’s bursting with flavour.
for this dish, you need a potato base and then any leftover veg that takes your fancy. To recreate this exact recipe, here is what I used.
4 cold goose fat roasted potatoes (4 pieces, not 4 whole potatoes!)
cold honey roasted parsnips and carrots (about 1 whole parsnip and 1/2 large carrot)
5 brussel sprouts, cooked
5 sage leaves, finely chopped
5 walnuts, roughly chopped
turkey, cooked and thinly sliced
cranberry and port sauce
olive oil, for cooking
salt and pepper
(preheat oven to 180*c)
– thinly slice turkey, wrap in foil and place in oven to warm while you make the bubble and squeak
– dice all potatoes and veg
– heat olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and throw in all your potatoes and veg, along with the sage and walnuts
– stir now and then until the veg begins to brown, then crush with a potato masher
– press into the pan and leave for a few minutes, then turn over a few times and press into the pan again
– repeat the previous process until the bubble and squeak begins to crisp up and is heated through
– season with salt and pepper
– heat your gravy with a dollop of cranberry and port sauce to taste – the sauce adds sweetness to the gravy which works well with the bubble and squeak
– remove turkey from oven
– place a bed of rocket on your plate and top with your bubble and squeak (I used a large round cookie butter to make neat circles)
– place over a few slices of turkey and pour over gravy
– enjoy by the fire!