There is little more satisfying than a freshly baked scone, warm out of the oven and spread generously with clotted cream and a dollop of your favourite jam. However, this deceptively simple bake can take numerous attempts to master. Here a my top tips for a perfectly light, risen and golden scone:
1. make sure your ingredients and your hands are cold when you’re rubbing in;
2. avoid using strong, bread or wholemeal flour as these result in a heavier texture. The softer the flour the better;
3. don’t overwork the dough;
4. use a sharp cutter or knife when cutting out your scones. A blunt cutter will stop them from rising properly, and finally;
5. don’t over-bake your scones as this will dry them out.
What are your top scone tips? Do you have a favourite scone recipe; cheese, fruit, chocolate chip?